We as Americans tend to take our home plumbing systems for granted. Water is cheap and seemingly abundant. However, we can always cut back and there are plenty of reasons to do so.
Why You Should Conserve Water
- Save Money: You pay for every drop of water that comes through your home. Save a little money and cut back.
- Helps the Environment: Using less water saves more for the plants and animals of the Earth. In addition, waste treatments plants do not need to spend so much of their resources making the water clean again.
- Save Energy: Our plumbing system takes and enormous amount of energy to operate and maintain. Cutting back on water use, cuts back on energy use.
Ways to Conserve Water!
- Water your garden in the morning or even when the temperature is cooler. This will reduce the amount of water evaporated and maximize the amount of water absorbed by the lawn.
- Buy a low flow shower-head. If your shower can fill a gallon bucket in under 20 seconds then your shower is more wasteful than it needs to be.
- Adjust lawn mower to a higher setting. A longer lawn will keep roots cool and increase water retention.
- Water plants only when necessary. As it turns out, most plants die from over watering rather than under watering.
- Keep a bucket of water in the shower to catch water as it warms up. Then spread this water on your lawn.
All it Takes is a Little Forethought
We waste so much water in our everyday lives and don’t even realize it. By taking a moment to think about the unused water heading down the drain we can quickly and easily identify areas of improvement.