Space heaters are convenient for use in times when the central furnace fails to operate properly, and when there is a need for supplemental heat in certain areas of the home. However, the consequences of using a space heater improperly can be devastating to your family. Every year space heater fires destroy thousands of homes, and cause hundreds of deaths and injuries due to fire, burns, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Preventing these horrible situations in your home requires a few precautions that, if taken seriously, make operating space heaters safe.
- Vent Combustion Heaters: If your space heater runs on anything other than electricity, it needs to be vented properly to the outdoors in order to prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
- Space Heater Placement: Keep the space heater well out of the way of any combustible materials in order to prevent fire.
- Space Heater’s Cord: Try not to use a space heater with an extension cord, and if you do use one, make sure it can handle to extra load created by the space heater. Do not operate space heaters that have frayed cords or exposed wires and do not run a cord under a rug because these are both fire hazards.
- Educate Children: Children need to be aware of the dangers caused by space heaters. Let them know that touching the space heater could cause serious, painful burns, and maybe even create a safe zone surrounding the heater that no one is allowed to cross into.
- Running the Heater: Never leave the space heater unattended. Turn the unit off when you leave the room or the home, and when you go to bed.
- Smoke/ CO Detectors and Fire Extinguishers: Make sure that you have both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed around the home, and make sure that they are working properly. Also, it is important to have a fire extinguisher handy in case there is a fire sparked by the heater.
Space heaters are not made to be permanent heating sources. If you are having problems with the furnace or if rooms in the home don’t receive enough heat, you should have the pros at Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning out to take a look. Limit the amount of time that you have to use the space heater by calling Four Seasons as soon as the furnace breaks down. We are a 24 hour heating and air conditioning company, and we will send a serviceman to fix your furnace day or night.
If your problem lies in inadequate heating, now may be the time to upgrade your furnace. Have one of the knowledgeable salesmen from Four Seasons out for a free estimate and to discuss the possible solutions for your air distribution problem. Four Seasons has a service for all of your heating needs. So, call today, and stop relying on that space heater for your family’s comfort this winter.