There are many scams out in the world today and Telemarketing scams are just a part of it. Telemarketing scams are not as prevalent in the heating and air conditioning world, however they do come up and knowing what to look for is always key in protecting yourself and your family.
What to look for
- You receive an unsolicited call from someone you don’t know.
- Telemarketer offers you a great deal or a “free” prizes.
- Solicitor offers you a travel package, get-rich-quick scheme with no risk, recovery of previously scammed money, or a change of your long distance phone carrier.
- Telemarketer asks you to make a decision and send money quickly, giving you no time to check out their business or their offer.
Watch out if you get a phone call claiming you…
- You won a gift or prize but pay for postage and handling
- You are pressured to give money, credit card information, or bank account numbers before you’ve had an opportunity to consider the offer.
- Anytime anyone makes statements such as; “Don’t miss this offer”
What to do
- Sign up for the Do not call Registry! www.donotcall.gov
- Hang up if your not interested. If you did not ask them to call you and you are not interested they are wasting your time.
- Ask for everything in writing!
- Check the BBB for information on their company. Check the companies rating and check for any complaints.
- If everything looks really fishy, don’t hesitate to contact the Office of the Attorney General to report a scam, a potential Do Not Call Registry violation or to check for more information.