Your home is your shelter. It is the one place where we know we can retreat for warmth and comfort. However, if your home’s thermal envelope is flawed, you could be missing out on both comfort and energy efficiency. The thermal envelope is the barrier between you and Mother Nature’s furry. Any gaps, cracks, or lack of insulation in this barrier could lead to energy loss and consequently comfort loss as well. Your home needs a solid envelope to help keep the heating and cooling created by your furnace and air conditioner within the home. Not having a solid thermal envelope in your home could be the reason you are paying through the nose on your energy bills, but luckily Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning offers several services that can help boost the efficiency of your home’s envelope this winter season and all year round.
Boosting the Barrier in Your Home:
- Four Seasons Window Collection: Replace old single pane windows and choose high U-value windows. Windows are one of the highest heat loss/gain areas in a house.
- Sealing Your Existing Windows: Caulk, seal well around all existing windows. Every dollar spent here will be returned 10-fold.
- Choose Solid-Core Doors: Upgrade to solid-core doors. Use weather stripping and door sweeps around all doors. If you can see daylight, it is costing you money.
- Basement Insulation: Insulate those basement walls, or crawlspace walls with an R-19 insulation w/vapor barrier. Every Dollar spent here will come back to you.
- Attic Insulation: Add more insulation in the attic! This area is one of the greatest heat loss/gain areas of a house especially if you have an older home. Your attic insulation should be rated at R-38 or better. Heat rises, and without a strong barrier between your living space and the attic, much of the heat created by the furnace will be lost to the attic space. During the hot months, the air conditioner has to overcome the heated added to the home by a poorly insulated attic, so it is easy to see how boosting insulation in this area could increase comfort and save you money.
Four Seasons can complete any combination of the services listed above. If you have no idea where your home’s envelope may be lacking, have Four Seasons perform an energy audit. With this service you will be able to see exactly where your home is spending your energy, and the value of making improvements will become more obvious than ever. Stop wasting and start saving today!