When considering making an investment in your home and your comfort, the furnace is a good place to start. As with many important decisions that have to be made, there is a downside and an upside, and your choice in heating equipment is no different. There are a few key benefits to replacing or converting your HVAC system to a furnace, and the problems that could arise are easily solved with the help of Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning.
Lets first look at the benefits:
- Furnaces heat your home quickly- A forced air furnace uses a blower to send the air through the duct work to each of the rooms in your home. The air is pushed into the room and will quickly fill the space with warm air.
- Central air conditioners are very compatible- If you have had the unfortunate opportunity to use a window air conditioner, then you understand how unreliable and troublesome they can be. If your home already has central heat, it is easy to include a central air conditioning system as well. Central air uses the existing duct work to circulate the cool air in the same way the furnace does. If you do not have preexisting duct work, it may be costly to make the conversion. But, when you compared to the alternative cooling methods it may be worth the cost involved.
- Higher efficiency- Newer furnaces are required to have an AFUE of at least 80%. Some units even reach more than 95% efficiency. Why does this matter? This percentage represents the percent of the gas being used by the unit that is actually being used to heat your home. The higher the percentage, the less gas you will have to use to get your home to the desired temperature. Units that were installed before 1992 probably have an efficiency rating around 55-65%. If you continue to use this type of unit you are throwing hundreds of dollars away as well as causing damage to the environment.
- Variable speeds- A variable speed blower motor is often a feature included in newer model furnaces. This means that the blower on the furnace will run at different speeds based on the temperature outside. If it is cooler out it will conserve energy by running at lower speeds. It will only run on high when the weather calls for it.
- Two Stages- A furnace that has two stages uses a high-fire setting for extreme weather conditions and a low-fire setting for mild weather conditions. This not only prolongs the life of the unit by not overworking the system, it also saves you money on your energy bills.
Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning specializes in installing Lennox central air furnaces in Chicago. They are some of the most efficient and technologically advanced systems on the market today!
Possible Problems and Solutions:
- Heat loss- This tends to be the main concern of homeowners who already have central furnace systems. If your duct system has leaks, you are losing much of the heat created by the furnace before it ever reaches the rooms in your home. You also may be losing heat in the transfer to the duct work itself through absorption into the duct-work material. To solve this problem, you should insulate the duct-work with ductwork insulation wraps. This will close any gaps and ensure that the heating or cooling is not being lost in the duct work.
- Bulky duct work- If you are considering converting your boiler system into a furnace system, the installation of duct work will be your main concern. It is often costly and invasive to work into the preexisting structures in your home. However, if you hire a properly certified contractor like Four Seasons Heating and Air, we can lay out a plan to install a duct work system that works best for your home. This isn’t a “do it yourself” job. If the job is not done properly, a mistake could cost you hundreds in energy costs. You may also create a heat loss problem. The conversion needs to be done professionally if you want the job done right the first time.
- Contributes to allergies- Because a furnace uses hot air to warm your home, it is constantly circulating air through the ductwork. As the air is pulled through the vents, it leaves behind dust, mold, and any other airborne particles that are floating around in your home. This can lead to poor air quality which is a nightmare for anyone who has allergies. Although, a yearly duct cleaning can make this problem disappear. Four Seasons Heating and Air conditioning proudly hires only NADCA certified technicians. We use only state of the art equipment to make sure that your ducts are spotless. A Four Seasons duct cleaning will not only improve your air quality, but will also help your HVAC units run more efficiently.
So, whether you are looking to replace, upgrade, or convert, you now know the benefits that come with having central heating in your home. Yes there are problems that come with any type of unit, but if those do arise, Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning is here to help you solve the concern and to guarantee your family’s comfort.