If your home has a history of frozen pipes or you have plumbing pipes that are on an outside wall you should take the following steps to prevent your pipes from freezing in really cold weather.
- Invest in an electric heating cord that you can wrap around your pipe to keep it warm. It acts like an electric blanket for your pipe and will prevent it from freezing.
- Insulate your outside wall with R12 or R20 insulation.
- Wrap your pipe with approved pipe insulation.
- Install a small duct to heat the space to prevent it from freezing.
- If temperatures drop below 0°, turn your faucet on in the kitchen and on in the area with the exposed pipes. You don’t have to turn it on all the way; just a little more than a drip.