When my daughter was born I decided to get informed more on health and safety issues within the home. On reading an issue of a parenting magazine it stressed that most children get injured within the home and that one thing that parents aren’t that aware of is carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which can be toxic, for example your gas water heater or gas furnace doesn’t have adequate ventilation. This gas can accumulate and can start with headaches and mild flu symptoms and can lead to death. Those more at risk are children, pregnant women, and the elderly and exposure can lead to the need to take long term medication.
The thought of my child being at risk prompted me to research carbon monoxide detectors. I found that the store bought detectors don’t really work and the companies making them even tell you in the fine print on the back of the packaging.
Buyer beware, I would recommend asking a trustworthy HVAC contractor like Four Seasons for their recommendation. They work with public buildings and have to follow strict guidelines before they install equipment like carbon monoxide detectors in these types of buildings.
This product is no substitute for having your gas appliances clean & safety tested professionally. When it comes to having your furnace cleaned and tested, Four Seasons certified technicians are more than qualified to test your unit for carbon monoxide leaks and keep your unit running safely year after year.