When a furnace malfunctions or has a cracked heat exchanger the probability of a Carbon Monoxide leak (CO) is very likely. Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous and could be fatal and even small concentrations. It is very important to make sure your furnace is in good working order before every heating season to ensure this doesn’t happen.
The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it is incredibly difficult to detect with your senses. CO is colorless, tasteless, and odorless, meaning you will have no idea that CO is affecting your body. However, it does have a few symptoms that you may be able to recognize as CO poisoning.
- Flu-like Effects
The delayed effects of acute CO poisoning even if not fatal could still be awful. You could experience
- difficulty with higher mental functions
- short-term memory loss
- Speech disturbances
- cortical blindness
Carbon dioxide is no joke and could be a tragedy for you and your family. Make sure your furnace is working correctly this fall and be sure to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors. It could save your life.