The numbers are in and once again home repair services have landed on the Better Business Bureau’s list of the top ten most reported scams of 2010. Despite the media coverage and the countless warnings, these scam artists are still running off with huge amounts of unearned money. How is this possible? The illegitimate companies that are responsible for these complaints often target the most vulnerable portion of the population: senior citizens. However, everyone is susceptible to their deception regardless of age, and we all need to know how to prevent these types of scams in our homes. Four Seasons Home Services offers reliable and honest home repair services. We know what kind of scams are out there because we often see the aftermath of the shoddy repair jobs performed by these scammers. Here are some tips to keep in mind the next time you need your home repaired:
- Door to Door Solicitation: The majority of the complaints taken by the BBB were a result of door to door solicitation. The consumers were approached in their homes by supposed repairmen who offered to do a job for a discounted price if they signed the contract right then and there.
- Get Second Opinions: No matter how good a price may sound, call in a second opinion. Getting multiple bids on a job will help you figure out if you really do have a problem and determine a fair price for the job.
- Lowest Price isn’t Always the Best Price: Although a low price may sound great, this is often the trick that scammers use to get you to hand over the cash fast. They will either take your money and run or up sell you additional services during the course of the project. Many homeowners that fall prey to this tactic end up spending more than they would have if they had taken one of the higher bids to begin with.
- Get it in Writing: Many homeowners will begin a project with a repairman without actually getting any of his promises in writing. Doing so could be your biggest mistake if there ends up being a difference between the work promised and the work performed.
- Don’t Settle for Leftovers: A common theme that is found among scammers is that they will tell the customer they have leftover materials from a job in the neighborhood. They will offer an extremely low price, but the product is usually substandard.
Looking for Honest Home Repair Services?
Call Four Seasons! We don’t employ any of these tactics in order to make a sale. We are always upfront and honest with our customers, and guarantee 100% satisfaction in our work. Check us out with the BBB! We carry and A+ rating and their highly regarded accreditation. We are in this business for the right reasons, so choose Four Seasons!