When water comes through the pipes to your home, it is not quite ready to use. Though filtered for biological contaminants, the water is still rich with calcium. Even though calcium is very good for the nutrition of your body, it has numerous othe
r negative effects on hygiene. So, we install and maintain our water softeners, designed to remove the pesky calcium from the plumbing system. We take this opportunity to honor our water softeners for without them we would be subject to the…
Negative Effects of Hard Water
- Bathroom Fixtures: When calcium remains in the water, a white film will develop on all bathroom fixtures. Similar to “water spots” this film will appear in your sink, bathtub, shower, and toilet bowl.
- Irritated Skin: The calcium will dry out your skin leaving it dry, itchy, and uncomfortable.
- Ages Clothes: When you was clothes in hard water, it will drastically increase the effective “age” of the clothes. Colors won’t be as vivid and the clothes will feel dingy and scratchy.
- Dishwashers: All dishes washed in hot water will have little white calcium spots on them. This is the same film that develops in your bathroom, but just a spattering of it.
- Soap Curds: Soap and calcium don’t mix very well. It won’t lather correctly, nor will it wash off completely. Instead it forms gross little sticky soap curds that will cover your shower and body.
Thank You Water Softeners… Thank You
All these frustrating annoying side effects of hard water are completely eliminated by your water softener every day. We take it for granted, but these machines do a tremendous amount for our personal and home’s hygiene. Next time you walk past your water softener, take a moment and say “thank you.” If someone gives you a sideways glance for praising an appliance, just refer them to this article.